Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Little History Never Killed Anybody (but me)

My french dad decided to bring me around to understand a bit about the Flanders (its a land that used to exist in parts of the present-day Belgium, France and Netherlands but you can see the culture and buildings of the remains, this Flanders still live on in a way). Perhaps because he is originally Flemish, like me, I'm originally Chinese but a Malaysian now. I'm Chinese <3 !!!

Mount Cassel is the town located on top of a hill 85m from sea level, it is the highest point of the north of france. There are only three hills in this area.


Somewhere down below is where Lynde (my village) is. As you can see, where I live is called the Flat Land for a reason. It's FLAT.


You see that LONG straight road??? That's a Roman road. The Romans used to rule this town, Cassel (originated from the word castle, there used to be one here until it got destroyed) during the First World War (Can u believe Im standing right where history took place??? LOL! well its exhilarating for me, I feel soo knowledgable! xP) due to its strategic loaction. They could see everything, every army, every attack from up here.


This was the dude that protected the land and made today possible for me, Maréchal Foch ;)
He is very well respected here, you can see monuments of him all around town.




The park! Well, it may seem very sunny but trust me its no where near warm with the crazy winds =.=''
I was freezing my butt off while walking by.


Look! pretty flowers! xD


Wind mill to make flour, its very efficient since the wind NEVER stops blowing.
Oh, yeah it still works.



Another Roman road! Well, there's plenty.




Little tunnel way to the city centre :DDD





The stones on the ground are made with a lot of iron so it did not corrode over the years, its ancient! all the way from the war mannn!!




Voila! Tunnel way, well sorta, actually its like the entrance, it used to be a gate and like those olden movies a gate keeper would control it and a door would fall from above! ...you know what I mean? hahaha.. haa.. :)




City Centre!




Catholic Church! You can NEVER see this type of real church in Malaysia, I don't know why they don't build it the traditional way, its much better no?
Plus, if you see closely at the little black hole (door) you can see a couple making out! xD
what??? don't give me that look! its not me, its them.



See the holy light shining from above his head~



I'm a buddhist :)



Look! The windows are soo gorgeous!!! Every piece is different too! I think this is the best part of the church, well next to those amazing carvings/sculpture stuff.



It's that Foch guy again (remember? I just told you, the guy that saved this land... Maréchal Foch, geez people you gotta have better memory), he really is everywhere!



There always seem to have some light shinning from above, it feels very... sacred and spritual! LOVE it! I'm totally holy already!! :P



Just beeee-ooo-tii-fuuuul!


Typical french cafe (they sell coffee and alcohol in cafes, its like a pub, maybe)



Walking back to the garden with the weird stairway :)
(Oh yeah, thats my french dad, Philippe)
***
Till Next Time! xoxo
***



No comments:

Post a Comment